We welcome volunteers from all over the world who have an interest to work in organic farming. As a volunteer, you will need to have plenty of energy, as well as a willingness to learn from and teach our local farmers.
You will gain experience in a varied horticultural environment, learning everything from vegetable and seed cultivation to orchard maintenance and propagation. During the program, you will be working with local farmers to continue the existing site work. You can work as a teacher or a helper or mentor on a Horticultural Project. Also, you can teach in the local school if you are interested and have free time.
Our project location is in the beautiful village of Dadagau, Gorkha, which is shown in the picture above. During your time as a volunteer, you will stay in a host home with a host family where you will be treated as a family member, not a guest.
What we require from volunteers
- You must be 16 years or older. (Volunteers younger than 16 must come with a guardian)
- Be willing to make a difference
- Healthy enough to work
- Not suffering from a communicable disease
You don’t need to have horticultural knowledge/skills to work on this project. You can help local farmers do onsite work.
|Post Available||1 or more|
Groups or families are also welcome.
1. Vegetable or fruit garden layout planning
- Divide the site
2. Soil preparation
- Remove the grass
- Plow, spade or rototill the area
- Break down the large clumps
- Apply manure or compost & soil improvers
- Rake the bed
3. Vegetable seeds
- Fill the container with soil
- Water the container
- Sow the seeds
- Cover the seeds
- Dig holes on the site
4. Plant growth
- Fertilize and maintain
- Protect trellis and stake
Project location description
|Project location||:||Dadagau Village, Gorkha, Nepal|
|Distance||:||6 hours bus ride from Kathmandu to Valuswara|
|2 hours walk to the Dadagau village|
|Walking trail to the destination||:||1 hour sharp steep|
|1 hour medium steep|
|Facilities available||:||Internet (email)|
|1 hour walk to Health Post in Lakuribot|
|Small local grocery stores available|
Popular destinations to visit around the project location
- Sulikot (6+6 hrs hike to get to the top of sharp pointed mountain adjacent to sister mountain Rupakot)
- Tare Raha (mysterious water pond where people believe to see stars in daylight is just half hour walk away)
- Lakhan Chhehara (beautiful waterfall is half hour walk away)
- Streams and many other attractions
- Majestic view of snowcapped Himalaya range – including Himal Chuli (7,893 m) and Manasalu (8,156 m which is 8th tallest peak in the world) among other peaks
6 hours per day
- 6 – 10am
- 2 – 4pm
1 week or more
3 hours of orientation prior to volunteering
When to join
Since this is an ongoing program, you can join us on any date suitable for you. All that we ask is that you apply online some days ahead of your program start date which will gives us time to properly organize your stay.
You can join us as an individual or as a group of friends or family.
Volunteers are provided three meals per day. Food includes rice, curry, dal, vegetables, milk, meat (sometimes), cold drinks etc
Mr Dula Raj Paneru will be your host and our organization representative on the project. He is a professional tour guide and is a very nice and easy-going person.
You will be provided a separate room with a bed and blanket. You will share the host family’s bathroom.
Tools will be provided by our host.
You are required to have an up-to-date vaccine for tetanus as well as rabies in order to volunteer for this position. Our project location is not in a mosquito zone. We suggest that you bring a first aid medical kit too.
If you are interested in volunteering, please fill out the Online Application form.
Or, if you have any questions, please fill out our online Contact form.