While volunteering with us, you will have enough free time during the day to tour the project site or take in some of the local tourist sites. Many of these destinations are not far from where you’d be stationed and would not interrupt your volunteer schedule. Some of our members or assistants would be available to accompany you on your tour if you wish.
Be advised that some tourist attractions charge entry fees. However, as one of our cherished volunteers, you will be granted free entry to almost all of the local sights.
There are other popular tourist destinations further afield that you may want to take time off to visit. Those destinations are also listed below.
1. Tourist sights around Krishnapur, Chitwan
The following destinations are close enough to the Krishnapur site to visit without interrupting your volunteer work:
- Chitwan National Park
- Jungle walk and safaris atop an elephant
- Elephant and crocodile breeding center
- Tharu village and cultural museum
- Rapati river tour using traditional dugout canoes and much more
- A popular Hindu pilgrimage site
- Confluence of the Kali and Budi Gandaki rivers
- Sita Cave
- Numerous temples
- Short hiking opportunities and much more
Maula Kalika temple
- Maula Kalika temple
- Panoramic view of the surrounding countryside, including the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri mountain ranges, Chitwan, Devghat, Gaidakot are viewable from the crest of the hill
- Beautiful Narayani river and river bank
- Temples and more
Bis Hajar Tal (literally Twenty Thousand Lake)
- Bis Hajar Tal wilderness, where from 50 meters away you can spot giant wild crocodiles around the lake
- Walking tours of the jungle with the possibility of spotting wild rhinos, deer, water buffalo, monkeys, snakes, peacocks and other exotic wildlife
2. Tour sights around Dadagau village, Gorkha
If volunteering at the Dadagau Village site, you can visit the following destinations without interrupting your volunteer work:
A half-hour walk leads to a mysterious pond where people have reported seeing stars in daylight.
Walk to a beautiful waterfall.
Sulikot and Rupakot
A day hike to the top of Sulikot sharp pointed mountain with a view of the adjacent mountain, Rupakot.
- Ancient Gorkha bazaar
- World heritage site
- Kalika temple on the crest of mountain
- Panoramic view of the Annapurna mountain range and more
3. Sites further afield
There are many popular tourist destinations in Nepal that require more than one day to visit. If you would like to experience these places, you will need to take time off from your volunteer work. You should inform us a few days in advance if you choose to take time off for travel. Keep in mind you will need to plan your travel and pay your expenses on your own, but we may be able to organize a free overnight homestay for you. The following are some of the more popular destinations to visit:
Lumbini (requires 2 days)
- Lord Buddha’s birthplace
- World heritage site
- Tharu settlement
- Ashok tower
- Mayadevi temple, and more.
Manakamana (requires 1 day)
- Popular Hindu pilgrimage site, 10 minute cable car ride away from the highway
- Manakamana temple
- Manakamana village
- Perfect vantage to view Ganesh Himal, Hiunchuli, Manaslu and more
- Short hiking excursions and cultural tour are available.
Bandipur (requires 2 days)
- An ancient village that sits atop a verdant Mountain
- Breathtaking panoramic view of the Himalayas
- Offers 3-4 hours hiking and cultural tours, etc.
The Kathmandu valley and fringe (requires more than 4 days)
- Durbar squares arrow Pashupatinath temple
- Swembhunath monastry arrow Kakani
- Dhulikhel, Banepa, Kirtipur towns arrow Museums
- Nagarkot arrow Jaulakhel Zoo
- Godawori Garden arrow Baudhha
- Small town of Chovar arrow Dakshin Kali temple and more.
- Ancient temples, monasteries and cultural sights
- Panoramic view of Annapurna mountain range
- Royal palaces and many world heritage sites
- Flora and fauna
- Jyapu settlement
- Cultural tours, walking tours and day hiking and much more.
Pokhara and fringe (requires more than 4 days)
- Phewa lake arrow Begnas Tal
- Rupa Tal arrow Mahendra cave
- Davis fall arrow Gupteswor Mahadev cave
- Old town arrow Barahi Mandir
- Museum arrow Seti river gorge
- Tibetan settlement arrow Sarangkot
- Bat cave arrow Siklis
- Pumda and Pumdi, and more.
- Breathtaking view of Mount Machhapuchhre (fishtail) and the deep and narrow river gorge;
- Gurung culture
- Amazing caves, lakes, temples and much more
- Short hiking opportunities
- Cultural and pilgrimage tour
- Horseback riding
- Kayaking and rafting
- Microlight flights, and more.